The New Nintendo 3DS features a better CPU than previous models allowing for faster eShop browsing and downloading. It comes with a built-in NFC on the bottom touch screen for the amiibo NFC models.
The device is based on a custom Pica200 graphics processor from a Japanese start-up Digital Media Professionals (DMP). It has two screens; the top screen is a 3.53-inch 5:3 3D screen with a resolution of 800x240 pixels (400x240 pixels per eye, WQVGA) that is able to produce a stereoscopic three-dimensional effect without 3D glasses, while the bottom screen is a 3.02-inch 4:3 non-3D touch panel with a resolution of 320x240 pixels (QVGA). The 3DS weighs approximately 8 oz. and, when closed, is 5.3 inches wide, 2.9 inches long, and 0.8 inches tall. The system features several additions to the design of the original DS, including a slider on the side of the device that adjusts the intensity of the 3D effect, a round nub analog input called the "Slide Pad", an accelerometer, and a gyroscope. In addition, there is an infra-red communicator port situated on the top of the unit. The 3DS has two cameras on the outside of the device, capable of taking 3D photos and capturing 3D video, as well as a camera positioned above the top screen that faces the player; both cameras have a resolution of 640x480 pixels (0.3 Megapixel). The system also has 3D movie playback capability. Compatible with both Nintendo DS and DSi games, and a new generation of 3DS games.
Please note: Nintendo 3DS AC Adapter is NOT included. AC Adapters from Nintendo 3DS/ 3DS XL/ DSi/ DSi XL are compatible with the New Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL consoles.
- Face-tracking 3D - Games leap to life with super-stable 3D. The face-tracking feature uses the system’s inner cameras to adjust images based on your viewing angle, so you can enjoy total immersion in your games
- New controls - The C stick brings new control possibilities (like intuitive camera control) to compatible games. And, new ZL and ZR buttons give you more options than ever
- Built-in amiibo support - Tap an amiibo™ figure to the near-field communication (NFC) reader on the lower screen to enjoy amiibo features in compatible games. Get bonus items and content, customize your character, and more when you use amiibo figures (like Mario!) with amiibo-compatible games
- More power - Improved CPU performance means faster loading times, so you spend more time playing. Many games will look and play better than ever—and several upcoming games will be built from the ground up to take advantage of this power boost
- Play even more games - You can still play all Nintendo 3DS games and nearly all games from previous systems such as Nintendo DS and DSi. And, some future titles will be exclusively playable on the New Nintendo 3DS XL
- Easy data sharing - You can transfer your photos, music, and other files between a PC and your system’s microSDHC card via a wireless network. No need to remove the microSDHC card!
- Better browsing - The new-and-improved Internet browser lets you watch videos and surf the Web with ease. You can even use the ZL/ZR buttons to switch tabs or zoom in with the C stick
- Improved camera - Enjoy better results when you take photos in low-light situations